Monday, July 09, 2012

LOCKS OF LOVE / Monday Made It & Pintervention (Teacher Binder Tote & Sign)

The hubby and I are back from a BUSY, but WONDERFUL weekend! The wedding was beautiful and we all had a great time! 
*******************************************************
BIG NEWS: My mother-in-law is a hair stylist & cuts my hair...so while we were in town, I decided it was time for a new 'do. In doing so, I decided to donate to Locks of Love for the 2nd time. Here are the before & after pics. :)

I absolutely LOVE my new 'do! It's so refreshing and I was soooooo ready for a change. :)
*******************************************************
I'm super excited to join up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made It and Heather at Hoot Hoot Hooray for Pintervention. I've got some cool projects to share! :)
Photobucket

Classroom Project: Teacher Binder Tote
Last week, I shared that I would be creating a binder tote and I must say it turned out FABULOUS!! I actually finished it on Tuesday and it was so hard not to post about it earlier... So, here it is!
Pinterest Inspiration

Binder Tote!! I NEED this...
Original Source & Tutorial
My Creation
I know y'all are going to want to know how I made this...so I'll share with you! :)
Materials:
1.5 in. Heavy Duty binder
1 yd. of fabric
1 yd. of handle material
Ribbon
Sewing Machine 
Thread 
Sewing pins
Various pens & pencils
Scissors
Yard stick/ruler
Lay binder on fabric & cut 1/2 in. border around binder.
Cut out 2 pieces with same 1/2 in border to go inside binder - stop 1/2 in. from binder fold/clasps.
I wanted a finished look, so I pinned inside edges of the front and back pieces to create a hem.
(Edge ends up about 1 in. from the binder fold)
Gather ribbon, pins, and various pens, pencils, & highlighters.
Flip inside front cover piece of cloth to pin ribbon around various pens, pencils, & highlighters.
Remove pens, pencils, & highlighters from ribbon loops. (Leave pins in)
Sew hem (pinned earlier) of front cover.
Next, sew over pins of pen/pencil loops to create pen/pencil holders.
Don't forget to sew the back inside hem too!
Cut handle material in half. (So you have two equal length pieces).
Pin & sew handles 2 1/2 inches from the top/bottom.
(Be sure to back stitch a few times)
Pin pieces together. (Handles stay under fabric)
Sew pinned pieces together.
Flip inside out...
Flip inside out...
Fold, pin, and sew top & bottom edges of binder center.
Slip binder in! :)
To do this, fold binder backwards to slip cover on front & back flaps.
Then fold binder back to normal with cover on!
(Sorry I forgot to take a pic of this step...)
There you have it...The Teacher Binder Tote! I LOVE it! :) (I am now taking orders...haha! Just kidding...I wish I had the time!)

Fun Project: Sign
I was inspired by Tara's Monday Made It project last week and HAD to make one! Hobby Lobby even had a sale on wooden letters last week...Score! Anyhow, my parents own a daycare up north in which my sister is co-administrator, with my mother, and is also the preschool teacher. So, I decided to create a sign for her room... :) (It's nothing fancy, but it's still CUTE!)
Painted wooden letters
Painted canvas
Since I don't have a hot glue gun at home, I  used Gorilla Glue.
Super glue can melt through certain materials and I didn't want to take any chances.
Gorilla glue is FANTASTIC!
Final Product (My sis loves frogs, so I just had to put one on there!)
I was able to give it to her this past weekend when we were in town for the wedding. She LOVED it! :) 
*******************************************************
So...those were my projects that I was able to accomplish at the beginning of last week. Hope you like them! I have something already in the works for this week! :) I also have Mathematics Common Core Training this week. It's an hour away, so I'm hoping it will be productive! The more, the better... That way maybe I'll have something to share with y'all from it.

Signing off...






11 comments:

  1. What a great cause. Love your new look :)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you donated your hair:) Ok, that binder tote is too cute! I haven't seen that idea and I just love it!!! The sign is also adorable:) Thanks so much for linking up and hope you can come back next week:))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the binder cover! I have not seen any like it. I don't sew that well, but I may have to give it a try!

    I'm your newest follower.

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair is adorable and so are your crafts! :) Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your hair...so cute! The binder is adorable too! I am not crafty at all so I'm very jealous of your abilities. :)

    Rachel
    A-B-Seymour

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair is so cute! My hair has never been long enough to donate to locks of love so I always enjoy seeing when others do. I haven't seen the tote that you made anywhere else. GREAT idea!!

    Jessica
    http://wildandfuninprek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair looks great! I have donated to Locks Of Love a couple times. It is a great organization! By the way, I'm passing you the Lovely Blog Award. You don't have to participate if you don't want to, of course, but if you like that type of thing, visit http://missangelread.blogspot.com/2012/07/hey-look-at-my-new-award.html to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new hair cut! Very nifty binder cover.

    Jessica
    Teach on a Limb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hair looks great, what a great cause to donate to. I appreciate the help for making a fun binder. I love the fabric. Thanks for sharing.

    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete