Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Common Core Math Training (Preview)

Common Core Math Training
I'm planning on posting more in-depth about this next week, but I thought I'd share a brief preview. 


For the past few days, I've been attending a training for the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM)It's a big gathering of 3rd-8th grade mathematics teachers, where we all are trained on how to implement these new standards. I'm one who likes to stay on top of things, so when the CCSSM were released, I've been reviewing them and trying to familiarize myself with them as much as possible. I was hoping that this training was going to be more than just going down the list and explaining what every single one means. For me, that would have been a waste of time... I didn't want to drive an hour to attend a 6-7 hour training that told me stuff I already knew.


Thankfully it hasn't been like that... Upon registration, I got a thick book filled with tabs that would be reviewed throughout the training. You don't know how happy I was to see this! :) (See below)

So far, we've been divided up by grade levels the majority of the time. The main things that have discussed within the 6th grade group are:

  1. Performance-Based Assessments (PBAs)
  2. Engaging In & Analyzing Teaching and Learning
  3. Enacting Instructional Tasks 
  4. Analyzing the Demand of Instructional Tasks
I'm sure some of you may be thinking what do those mean/entail? PBAs... Instructional Tasks? Trust me...I was thinking the same thing when I flipped through the book when I first got it. Next week, I will take time to go through each section and explain what I learned from it. The main thing that has been stressed is that there needs to be a HIGH level of RIGOR when teaching mathematics. (Higher level/In-depth thinking)


Tomorrow, we will get to spend the last portion of the day with our own school district teachers/administrators to discuss how we will implement what we've learned in the training in our school throughout the year. This will be interesting and I am really looking forward to seeing what everyone else has taken from this training! 


I wish I had time to go more in-depth about each section this week, but the hubby and I are off to photograph another wedding this weekend. So, I will be sure to fill y'all in early next week! Hopefully, there are some of you out there who will find this helpful (and not too boring!). I really do think that these new standards are going to help our students to become more active, higher level thinkers!


Til next week...



1 comment:

  1. Sara, I'm so glad I found your blog! I teach kindergarten myself, but I am completely blind. I agree with you that the Common Core Standards will really help our students to become higher-level thinkers. One of the differences for kindergarten is that they took out time and money and are concentrating a lot more on number-related skills. This is wonderful, because the way our curriculum was designed before, we had very little time to spend on numbers in the teens and twenties. Oftentimes, the children were confused about these numbers and really didn't understand what they meant. Now we can spend more time on what's really important.

    If you have the time, I would love it if you could stop by my blog.

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete